Thomas A. Vallas
Thomas A. Vallas focuses his practice on health law, advising and counseling clients in operational, regulatory, and transactional matters. He represents healthcare providers including hospitals, clinics, ancillary service providers, and individual providers on issues such as fraud and abuse, privacy, contracting, and governance.
Tom represents clients in many sectors of the healthcare industry in operational, regulatory, and transactional healthcare law. His clients include hospitals, clinics, medical and dental practices, behavioral health providers, and individual practitioners. Tom advises and counsels healthcare clients on Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law matters, as well as HIPAA Privacy and Security compliance. In addition, he works with clients to develop and implement compliance programs, investigate compliance issues, and respond to government inquiries and enforcement actions. He has substantial experience assisting providers in a variety of operational, regulatory, and transactional matters including drafting provider compliance program documents and policies, provider contracting, medical staff governance and operations, general employment law, litigation and risk management, and general legal matters faced by healthcare providers. Besides his legal experience, Tom has significant experience as in-house counsel and corporate compliance officer for a large integrated health network, providing him with a practical understanding of health care operations.
Outside of healthcare, Tom’s practice includes the representation of clients in administrative, business, regulatory, and transactional matters. As an experienced litigator, Tom also represents clients in state and federal courts in a variety of civil matters.
In addition to his legal practice, Tom gives back to the community by serving on the boards of directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada and Friends of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada. He also provides legal counsel to St. Anthony Greek Orthodox Church in Reno, Nevada.
- Nevada (1990)
- California (1991)
- University of California, Davis, 1987, B.A. (International Relations)
- University of California, Davis, Martin Luther King, Jr., School of Law 1990, J.D.
AFFILIATIONS AND HONORS
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association (Health Law Section)
- Member, Health Care Compliance Association
- Member, State Bar of Nevada Insurance and Health Law Section
- Member, State Bar of California Business Law Section
- Business Contracts A to Z
National Business Institute Reno, Nevada, August 26, 2014
- The PPACA Mandate for Effective Compliance Programs: A Primer for Non-Institutional Providers
Health Care Compliance Association Live Webinar, May 29, 2014
- ACA Mandatory Provider Compliance Program Mandate
Nevada MGMA Meeting Reno, Nevada, January 21, 2014
- Physician Services Contracts: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Nevada MGMA Annual State Conference Reno, Nevada, May 19, 2011
- When the HIPAA Hits the Fan: HIPAA Compliance Case Studies
11th Annual Compliance Institute Health Care Compliance Association Chicago, Illinois, April 27, 2007
- Fraud and Abuse Barriers to the Adoption of Healthcare Information Technology
Fraud & Compliance Forum American Health Lawyers Association/Health Care Compliance Association Baltimore, Maryland, September 27, 2005
- Getting Ahead of the ACA Compliance Program Mandate Compliance Today July 2014
- 2011 Nevada Consent/HIPAA Manual, co-author Nevada Hospital Association